Sunday, December 21, 2008

Draining Visit!

Let’s see … where are we on this roller coaster of life with Baby Kadin ???
Sometimes I have to gather my thoughts and keep from repeating a lot of what I’ve already written about.
So, ok … his lung secretion culture was positive for some type of infection, but they caught it soon enough and gave antibiotics early enough that it didn’t get bad. Today they changed him over to an antibiotic that really targets that type of infection and he is doing better now. He will remain on this med for 7 days.
I have been able to hold him several times for the past few days and it is such a WONDERFUL feeling. I love looking into his little bitty blue eyes and talking to him. He moves around and reacts to my voice. Today when I was holding him he opened his eyes as soon as he heard my voice. He kept them open and looked all around at my face. It was so precious. He doesn’t do that when he is laying in his bed.
But towards the end of the time frame when he usually gets tired, he had a little spell. The respiratory therapist was there talking to me while I held him. She and I have become great friends. All of the sudden, his sats dropped down to very low numbers. He actually made it down to about 32 when his normal range is from 83 to 95 … It was scary. She finally whisked him out of my arms and bagged him for him to “come up”. He responded well and when it was over she and the nurses commented on how proud they were that I stayed so calm like that. I had never been in there when they had to bag him, but it’s serious business and I just stood there watching, knowing in my heart he would come back up. This all started when he was turning beet red from grunting … like he was making a surprise in his diaper. But when it was over, he turned blue and I told her, “I’m not liking this” while she tried to get him to respond to her. She made the comment that a lot of mothers jump up and run from the NICU when something like that happens to their babies, but you can’t do that … you can’t run at home! So I was proud that it did not freak me out and that we just did what had to be done to get him back up. They even told Danny later when he went in to visit that I was a real champ thru it all … that made me feel good.
Overall Kadin is doing well, but he still has a long way to go. We are waiting for him to be strong enough for his eye exam and to get put back on the cpap. He can’t stay on the vent forever. It isn’t good for him but his settings are fairly low so we are just waiting for him to grow a little and get stronger.
We are going back to see him in about half an hour. It is a nightly ritual to go as soon as the unit opens at 8PM. The kids get tired and bored but they knew before they came that this was part of our life for now. They understand, but I know they get tired of it …..
Thanks for your prayers …. We need all the prayers we can get. Especially for my patience in our little bitty kitchen, lol …. Not really but it takes some getting used to, that’s for sure!
Merry Christmas Friends and Family!

2 comments:

daisys415 said...

I so know you don't know me! But as a mom of 3 boys, all preemies,

You are so doing the best thing, for you and Kadin!

When he gets older, I can't wait to ask you questions, My 7 year old *As of Tomorrow, Due in March *
still has issues with communication and dealing with being the Middle kid! And he was only 2 month preemie! Still 6#. Yes, He was so ready to come, without being ready to come!


And I get the Joe thing, Email me for more information on that..Mshoward5@sbcglobal.net
Really have a lot of advice on how to deal! Anyway, Don't want to cause issues, just know your pain and want you to know I am there! And I know people in the same boat! IT is hard, but you will make it! I promise!!!!!! All Positive thoughts coming your way!

Marisa

kirstenpetree said...

awww I am so sorry to hear he has another infection, but I am glad they found it and can give him those specific antibiotics!

I loved the card, thanks for that! I can't wait to bring you all the clothes next monday!!