Friday, December 26, 2008

Fancy New Duds

Our baby boy is so precious. They have begun to dress him in real clothes. He is no longer laying in this bed in just a diaper. It is so precious to look at. I can't believe he is finally "looking" like a little baby. His face is full, he is gaining so much weight, and he is beginning to grow longer. His breathing is still causing him a little trouble, but that is somewhat to be expected. I am ready for him to be breathing on his own, but since he was a 24-weeker he will probably have a little trouble with his lungs. They are still cloudy and so they are giving him diuretics to pull the fluid off. His hands look much better than they have been looking but the lungs is what we are concerned about. His rate is way down from what it was the other day, but I think the nurse said earlier on the phone that they had to turn him back up. He has had to be "bagged" several times in the past few days, which is not really good, but a lot of that is caused by the mucous and moisture in his lungs. Also, that tubes that carry the air and oxygen to his lungs have to have some humidity so the water will sometimes pool in the tubes and drip down his lungs .... it has a drowning effect, which is also not pleasant and he will stop breathing. So, although the vent is good for him and absolutely necessary, it has it's bad points also ... just like most everything else in this life.

Isn't he cute in his clothes? (see pic to the right!) I think he is precious!!! He is close to 3.5 pounds now but I don't have an exact weight. I usually get it at the evening visit. We will go there a 8 every night and they will have it from midnight the night before.

He is being moved (if he hasn't been already) to an open crib. They are clothing him and swaddling him in blankets so he is able now to hold his own temperature, which is a very good thing. This meets criteria for the checklist for going home! They have had the top popped on his isolette for the past few days to see how he does, basically to prove himself. They nurse told us earlier that he would get his own open crib at some point today. That means we will get to decorate his bed a little more to personalize it for him.

The Dr. ordered something to be added to Kadin's breastmilk. I can't remember what it is called, but it gives him added calories and they reduce his feeding by one ml. Supposed to put some fat on him I guess. He is already looking a little chunky to me! But ok ... Dr. knows best I guess. He also talked about putting him on the bubble cpap again in a few days but I'm not certain he is ready for it. He is barely breathing over the vent right now. I am not sure if he is just enjoying the breathing for him or if he really isn't capable of breathing like he needs to do. Either way, I guess we will see when the Dr. makes that change.

Dr. Porter is leaving us! I may have written about this, but he will be leaving mid-January and it saddens me a great deal. He is awesome and we have gotten pretty close to him. He will be going to Indiana! Now that I write that I think I have written about it before ....

Anyway, we will truly miss him. I am not sure I want anyone else to take our baby but it will happen.

Kadin is scheduled for an eye exam next week. This will determine if he needs any type of laser surgery or not to correct the growth of his eyes since he was born so early. I have read and been told that the 24-weekers are usually the ones who have the most trouble. I pray he is ok, which some babies are just fine, but I pray that if he has issues they can be remedied. He may have to have glasses when he is young, but that's ok ... he was doomed with that anyway!

I can't really think of anything else to talk about. The more sensitive subjects I write about are on my myspace. I try not to interject that material in over here, lol ... but sometimes I fail. Sue me!

Have a great night ... and Happy Upcoming New Year.

Leslie

No comments: