Monday, December 8, 2008

Moving Right Along



I am starting to slack off on my writing. I attribute it to the constant flow of things that I have to take care of, but I am not used to having to rethink several days in a row to give an update. So, I will just do the best I can and go with the flow ….
There is not really much to update on Kadin. He is doing so wonderful. He was moved to the bubble cpap and struggled for the first day, but he has done so very well since then. He did test positive again for an infection but the antibiotics were administered soon enough that the infection was already battled before we knew for sure even had one. As I have blogged about before, his little face is swollen from the pressure in the cpap and we can’t see much of his precious little face, but that’s ok as long as the cpap helps him breathe on his own and matures his lungs at not such a harsh rate. Being off the vent is just about one of the best things he can do, and I am so proud.
I can’t believe how big he has gotten. I know his size is a little distorted because of him being a tad bit swollen, but he really has visibly grown. He is now 2 pounds and 3.2 ounces, which just amazes me. He is taking in nothing extra right now, only my breast milk. I thought I was slowing down on production, but I just started drinking a bottle of water every time I ate and every time I sat down to pump and it seems I am producing a lot more now. Thank goodness !!!! I never realized the importance of the liquid gold until I had a preemie. It helps them so much to build the resistance to sickness and infection. I never realized my life could revolve around a little yellow machine !! J
My family made it on Thursday night, actually it was after midnight on Friday morning, but they made it safely here. I was so glad to see them. They were so excited to be here and kept telling me so over and over. We went and enrolled them in school on Friday. Everyone we met was so very nice. I think I was more nervous than the kids were. I have moved before, several times, and I just don’t want my kids to ever feel like I felt when I moved. Of course, they were not forced to move this time and they both know it is only temporary, so that makes things much easier on them I think. They have expressed so many times how happy they are that they are here and that we are together, which makes things much easier on my heart. It is a little stressful being in this small room with everyone. You don’t really have your own “space” but that will change soon when we get another room for a family ….
The kids’ first day of school was today and they did so well. Robbi has to be there fairly early. School for her begins at 7:20 so she needs to be there a few minutes early. Then she gets out at 2:50 and she really likes that a LOT. Kota has to be there about 7:45 and gets out at 3. So Robbi goes to school first and then I wait a few minutes and take Kota. His school is just down the hill from hers so picking up and dropping off is a breeze. When I took Robbi she was so nervous. She would not even eat the breakfast that they brought into the office for her, but everyone was so wonderful and amazing with her. When I picked her up, she came out grinning. I was laughing so hard cuz she walked past a young guy at the front of the school and he waved at her … she waved back. Then she saw me smiling at her and gave me that “STOP IT MOM!” look. She told us all about her day and how all the kids were “fighting” over her when she went into the rooms … they all wanted her to sit by them. They even told her how pretty she is, how they loved her eyes and her hair, etc …. it made me feel so good for her because she thinks she is not beautiful at all. I think she is just GORGEOUS and maybe finally after today, she feels it. She had so much self-confidence today and I was so proud of her. She had a little trouble with her locker. It has a combination lock on it and I had to help her with that. Took her in the school and made her do it 3 times. She was successful but now tonight here in the room she is doubting herself and wants me to write it all down.
Kota’s first day was also great. I actually had thought Robbi would have a horrible day and Dakota would have an excellent one, so when I learned that Robbi’s was great I thought poor Kota probably had a bad day … could it be possible for them both to have excellent first days ??? When I took him in this morning to the commons area, a bunch of little boys in his class kept saying “My name is So -n- So” so he knew the names of like six little boys before school even started. I left him there with his class and told him I loved him and to have a great day … so after school, we were parked outside waiting to get him when we spotted him walking out. He was hand in hand with his wonderful teacher, Mrs. Branscomb. So I got out and started towards them when he saw me and gave me the biggest grin ever! She bent down to give him a goodbye hug and then I just gently touched her arm to tell her thank you for helping make his first day a wonderful one and she grabbed me up and gave me a huge hug! That was awesome …. Several of Robbi’s teachers have offered anything they can do for us and I just feel so very blessed by their generosity and sincerity. It makes things here much easier to handle when I feel I don’t have to worry about them so much at school. Dakota told me tonight when we were riding around looking at Christmas lights that I did not have to walk him in to the school tomorrow and when I questioned why not, he said cuz he was a big boy now and he could do it himself. AAAWWWWWWWW ….. I just don’t want him to grow up. He is such a sweet heart. All my kids are sweet, very well mannered, and loving. I could not have asked for better children ever.
I stayed in the room tonight to help the kids with homework and stuff while Danny went to the hospital to visit Kadin. I have been there many times by myself, and I just thought I would stay behind and let him go have some one on one time with the baby. He let me know when he was done that our baby is possibly going to be moved to another room tonight. He is currently in Room 4 and would be moved down to Room 3. With each “move” you get closer to going home …. If you get to Room 1 you know going home isn’t too far in the future for your family. I can’t wait to get to that point. I am ready to go home, only when Kadin is ready and not one minute before. So Dr. Karimi said she was going to monitor him a little bit longer tonight and then possibly move him, but that they did not want us to freak out if we called and he was no longer in the room we always asked for. They also need to make room for more babies … I hate to see so many babies needing help, but am so glad we are no longer the sickest of the sick.
JT has a cheering competition in Garland this Sunday. Not sure if I will be able to attend or not. I did see where we could view it live on the computer if we can’t make it, but it is right here close, so I would love to be able to go if possible….
I am posting my favorite picture of Kadin from today. He was sticking his tongue out a lot during his feeding today and I could not resist snapping a few pictures. Of course, this one I loved particularly for the position of his hands …. Isn’t he looking a little chubby ??? He is so precious! Danny and I heard him cry for the first time last night. That’s right … 34 days old before we heard him cry. I melted. I was a bucket of tears. I could not believe how many emotions that stirred, but it made him seem more “real” instead of our baby that we go see every day several times a day and get to hold once in awhile. Diaper changes are fun too, especially when he showers everyone! Ha ha
Well, it’s late and I’m tired, but I have to get my thoughts and such down before I forget about them all, plus I have to let all of you know what is going on with us … please continue the prayers for Kadin and our family, that we may continue to have the strength to get to the end of this peacefully …. And that Danny will find a job soon so we can keep our household running until we get back to it. Thank GOD for the Ronald McDonald House. I never realized just how much this type of organization helped families in our situation. Life for us has drastically changed and I am proud to say I will never be the same … I am printing out my journal entries so that one of these days Kadin can look back and read about it and know how very much he was loved and how much others prayed for his little life …… I truly am eternally grateful for everything you all have done. God Bless You!
Love Always,

Leslie

1 comment:

kirstenpetree said...

awww his face is swollen but it makes him look chubbier!!! so glad to hear how well he is doing, what a little miracle!!!!!!