Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Thru the Breathing Treatment

Christmas is near and I am not ready for it. I mean, I am, but I’m not. I am so thankful that we are together as a family, but part of my family is missing. I am used to spending Christmas with my folks and my sister and nephew, but it won’t be happening this year. It is something we have all come to terms with and are looking forward to next year’s Christmas when Kadin will be ripping thru everything and we’ll all hopefully be much better …
Today’s visits were good. We went to the hospital and I spent a lot of time in the back talking to the RT (Debbie) while she gave Kadin his treatment. She let me use the vibrator on his back and sides while she gave the treatment. The vibrator I used on him was very small and irritated my hands having to hold it. He squirmed and got mad and moved all around. After a few minutes I put my left hand over his head and he calmed down. Amazingly, small babies love for you to put your hand over their heads like that….they want to be “cupped” with their head and their bottoms. Its so sweet.
Kadin has become very active. They had to give him Versed today to calm him down because he was so active. They say he is a very fiesty little boy and that he is going to give me a run for my money when he gets out of the hospital. I say BRING IT ON !!!!! He was so active tonight that he was on his tummy and actually turned his head over the other direction … this is a big NO-NO for babies on the vent! The nurse noticed his monitors going off immediately and went to his bedside to see that he had his vent tube bent in half cuz he was turned the opposite direction that he was laying … oh boy!
We visited him again tonight for just a moment and he was still a little fiesty even while on the Versed. He has started to breathe over the vent now, but not by much. With every blood gas they take, he is able to be weened a little at a time to finally get him off the ventilator. His infection has began to clear up with the antibiotics and so he is feeling much better, this is probably contributing to his being so active these days.
He is to an age and weight that he can wear clothes now, but we have to wait until he is off the vent again before we can dress him. It is so difficult for him to be clothes while he is on the vent. I would personally like to see him grow a little before I begin trying to put clothes off and on all the time. They said he is very good at making big messes in his diaper area, lol … so he would have to be changed all the time. I don’t know … I want to see some clothes on my baby but as long as he can be kept warm in his bed without the clothes, I guess I’m good.
The little toot is weighing 3 lbs. and 4.9 ounces! Can you believe that? He is unbelievable! He grows more and more everyday. All the nurses have told me not to be surprised if he loses some weight here and there, but even with meds to pull the water weight off of him, he has never gone down in his weight! It’s amazing!!! He is just an exceptional child … and that is not bias, that is fact! J I was holding him yesterday and talking to him. As I did, he would open his eyes and I could see a little color in them. They were beautiful blue like his daddy’s … of course, they can change as he grows, but still … I was hoping he would have his daddy’s gorgeous eyes. I can’t wait to have his pictures made before we come home. That is one of the things that the hospital does for you … just like a newborn picture, except he will be a few months old already!
I don’t know if I have mentioned this before or not but he has a hernia. His intestines have fallen down into his testicle sacs and they have to be pushed back into his lower abdomen area with every diaper change. This is going to require surgery before he comes home. They told us it is a quick couple of stitches to sow up some space where the abdomen muscles have not developed completely at his 24-week birth. It isn’t causing him any problems but if it does, surgery will be required immediately. So far, he has not had any issues, Thank God!
Other than all that … nothing else has really been going on with him. He certainly keeps the nurses and RT’s on their toes. He doesn’t want to be forgotten.
I think I am going to bed now. Good night and God Bless . . .
Leslie

2 comments:

kirstenpetree said...

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! I love hearing that he is over 3lbs!! that is so great!!!

kirstenpetree said...

you may want to check this blog out, http://braden-kaleigh.blogspot.com/ she also had a baby born at 24 weeks in january!