Saturday, December 27, 2008

Tonight's Update

We went to our evening visit tonight. The night shift is a little bit slower-paced than the day shift so I enjoy just getting to go sit by Kadin's bedside and watch him. I have not been able to hold him in about a week because he has bad days still and then when they bathe him or do any kind of procedure, it wears him out. I am ready to get to the point of getting to hold him when ever I want to and him being ok.

Our nurse had him dressed in a little animated dragon outfit, it was sooo cute! I think he looks fabulous in green!! He was on his tummy and doing ok. They were going to extubate him today but he was not doing well enough on the vent. The RT's looked at his history of the last couple of days and made some adjustments because he was de-satting, and decided to go up on the rate and increase some of the pressures, so this was considered in whether or not to put him back on the bubble cpap. I talked to one of the RT's tonight at my visit and he asked me what I thought and I said I didn't think it would have been a good idea to take him off the vent and he was glad I felt that way, because he said Kadin was clearly not ready. I have been told sometimes parents get really upset with the staff when they don't follow thru with something they say they are planning to do. I don't get that, but ok ...

They were adding the lipids to his breast milk. It's all a strange concept really but they are reducing his breast milk feeds by one ml, adding the lipids (1 ml) because the milk actually put too much fluid on him so the lipids will help do the same thing that the milk does but with lesser volume of milk. Get it? Me neither. Ok ... next.

They did not move him from his isolette to a big bed because with him still on the vent, it is a 3 person job to weigh him, so we are waiting. Either way, he is in a bed that is open. He is adjusting to all the noises he can hear now. It is much quieter in his little cave with the top closed than with it open, obviously!

I have had a headache all day long. I am unbelieveably stressed and it isn't getting any better. My head has pounded all day. I think I am getting a migraine. It's not good for the pumping as my milk supply will decrease some. I just want to go home with Kadin and have my life back. I think it is FINALLY weighing on me.

Have a good night.

Leslie

1 comment:

daisys415 said...

Leslie, Just so you know, the addition of Lipids is very normal in preemies.
The fats, help brain and cell development that is very important in life sustaining functions later! Every cell needs lipids. So it isn't a bad thing and says nothing bad about your milk!
Here is some information that I think will be helpful for you!
"The Lipids are the second largest component in breast milk. They are the principal source of energy for the baby and provide vital nutrients, fat soluble vitamins and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids are the most variable component in breast milk with the highest caloric value. Triglycerides are the main fat element and are quickly broken down to free fatty acids and glycerol by lipase.
The fatty acids (in other words, DHA and ARA, which assist in the development of healthy nerve and brain tissue) which act as precursors for the development of prostaglandins and prostacyclins and other lipid mediators, in addition to other vital components in thin layers of essential tissues, such as the brain and the retina. They are necessary structural components of every cellular membrane and they aid in adjusting particular cell processes."
So don't worry, it is a good thing, Also, I know having you life be in limbo is no fun, but you are 1/2 way there! Keep it up! You will be home with baby and treasure every moment with him when he was in the NICU soon! Take Care, Marisa