Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bath Time

It was sorta unexpected and a little crazy, but we managed! Nurse Laura asked if I wanted to give Kadin his bath today and well, who am I to say "no" ??? I will take every opportunity to do anything with my son!

It was a little production, I can tell ya that! Of course, after getting the hang of it, it shouldn't be that difficult, but making sure we kept the towels clean after I had taken off his diaper was a little more challenging that I had really realized! HOW DO THESE NURSES DO IT??? Practice, I assume. And LOTS of it.

Got him all washed up and clean ... all except for the head since he has the line in there and he's taped up. He now has what they called a "Richard Simmons" bandana on to keep his bcpap on so it doesn't come down over his eyes. He doesn't seem to like that much.

He is not de-satting much at all and if he does, he comes right back up. Everyone is so happy and impressed with his progress. I really can't believe it. I am praying we are able to go home from the hospital sooner than we originally thought.

Walking out of the unit tonight I got a little emotional. When we see the nurses, or the Dr.'s, and even the RT's, they greet us with hugs, smiles, how are ya's, and even lengthy conversations. It has become our life. After all, it's been 10 weeks now that we've been here. I told Danny I will certainly miss these people when we are gone. OH, and I can't forget all the ladies at the front who always call back to tell them we are scrubbing in and to see if it's ok if we come back for a visit. They all know our names (and have for some time now) and when we walk in the door they are already picking up the phone to call back to the room. I will miss all that. This experience has taught me and unbelieveable lesson in love and patience. Not that I didn't already know about either of those, but they are more intense in my life right now.

Kadin is doing so good right now. I am just so pleased with how well he is moving along. I pray that this just continues and soon he is stepping even more forward from the bcpap!

No comments: