Saturday, January 17, 2009

Our New Dr. Takes Over

The very first Neo we ever spoke with was Dr. McGuirk (hoping I spelled that correctly!). She came into my room on the 3rd floor (high risk pregnancy floor) to talk to us about the viability of Kadin should he be born prior to the 24th week gestation. I was not fond of the things that she said but in hindsight, they had to be said. With hormones raging and emotions high, some of the things she had to say were not welcomed easily, but we know she was only doing what she had to do at the time in order for us to understand our chances with Kadin's survival, not to mention his development later in life.

I would see her in the unit from time to time. She was always nice and seemed to be conducting business like every other Dr. that we saw. I never had any dealings with her other than that initial consultation before Kadin was born....

We found out the other day that she is the Dr. that has taken over Kadin's care, and to be honest, I am ecstatic about it. She called me today while I was getting ready to come visit and I told her I would be there shortly and so she said she would swing back by in a little bit and visit with me. Great ... I couldn't wait to meet her. Setting aside that initial conversation we had with her, I decided I would give her the benefit of the doubt . . .

I am glad that I have an open mind and heart about these things. SHE IS WONDERFUL! She sat and visited with me for about 20 minutes and we really discovered that we are on the same page and that thrilled us both. I enjoyed visiting with her and could really see some positiveness coming from her being our primary dr. at this point. I am really excited about Kadin's progress with her from here on out. She is really excited also about how he is doing and for the first time ever, we heard a Dr. say "He's gonna make it just fine!" WOW! I wanted to cry ... it's always been a day to day, hour by hour basis ... but now, I see us going home. I can't wait !!!

Dr. McGuirk said that he will probably be on the bubble for a couple of more weeks and if his oxygen stays down around 25% or lower we will consider moving him to the nasal canula! I am excited about this because you can be much much much more interactive with the babies then and even possibly start introducing the bottle to them !!!! YAY!!!! I am already holding him during his feeds right now so he is associating me with his full tummy! Speaking of that ... I am producing MUCH MUCH more milk while being on the Reglan! WOW! I pumped about 3 times my normal amounts today! This is keeping me ahead of Kadin even tho he is now getting a little bit of formula.

I am so proud of Kadin and his journey ... like Dr. Porter said before he left, it is really the journey for all of us - Dr.'s, NNP's, RN's, RT's, parents, siblings ... ALL of us are on the same journey and we just hope to end up at the same place in the end!

1 comment:

kirstenpetree said...

wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!you are going to freak out when you see all the clothes!!haha