Thursday, January 8, 2009

Setback

Just a brief update before I head to the hospital...

Kadin's tracheal secretions from the culture 2 days ago have tested positive for an infection. They were about to start his IV yesterday when I got there, so I spent maybe 5 minutes looking at him and then left. My heart can't take watching him get an IV, especially since it took awhile for them to get it. It ended up being inserted in his head, which they say is a really good place - it frees his feet and hands - but still ... it looks awful. It's necessary, I understand this, but the sight of it is a little uneasy for me.

Antibiotics began yesterday afternoon. Not sure what kind we are getting but they are obviously for a broad spectrum of infections. He will receive this one until the "bug" is identified and then a med to target the infection will begin.

I know these are all aspects of the life of a 24-weeker, but I am ready for him to flourish. I just want to see him "ok" ... I know he will get there when he is ready, so I just keep plugging along patiently.

He now weighs 4 pounds 6.2 ounces! They sent home some of his preemie clothes saying he looks like a tootsie roll in them! :) So I guess it won't be long and he will need newborn clothes. YAY, shopping time! We went to Babies R Us over the holidays (to look at carseats and pack 'n plays) and saw some really cute clothes there.

That's it for now on how he is doing. I am not feeling well ... very very tired and my body just doesn't feel right ... not sure what is going on there, but I have a good guess. It isn't "sickness" or anything like that, but still ....

More later when I know more ... Have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

kirstenpetree said...

I am sorry to hear he has another infection but so glad he has wonderful doctors who know how to handle it! I cannot believe how big he is, that is great!!