Friday, November 7, 2008

Last Night's Visit

It seems I have been able to visit Kadin about 3 times a day. I get there in the morning when the Dr. is there which is always good because updates are available at that time. Usually mid afternoon I get in another visit, and then a late evening visit. Since the unit closes between the hours of 6-8 both AM and PM, I don't worry about those times.


I wrote last night about our visit, but myspace at the post. Either that, or my internet here is just not very reliable. I am guessing it's probably more the internet than anything, but I had a good long detailed account of last night's visit and it's gone. I will attempt to recall it all. I've slept since then!


When we got to the visit, the first thing we noticed was the blanket that was made for Kadin was draped over his bed. This is a common sight for the unit. In fact, we had wondered if we needed to bring him a blanket, but they told us that the volunteers made them and he would be getting one soon. So YAY, he has one and it is so cute.
The nurse we had last night is a very interactive nurse and I think I will be partial to her. She actually encouraged us touching him. The "min stim" period (minimal stimulation) is over and she said touching now more often is a good thing. She let down the top on his Cadillac and there he was, just laying there for us to hold. Rubbing is not encouraged because of it being somewhat painful for him, but the firm holding is comforting since it helps make him feel swaddled.
As I had mentioned the other day, his left eye was opening. Last night, his right eye was trying to open also and it was so precious to see him try to raise his eyebrows to open them to see. Of course, his field of vision is uncertain at this early age, but she said he can see movement. He did seem to try to open his eyes when I would talk to him and touch him. I like to see that.
I understand it to be that he had a very good day. After the news of his head sonogram being "negative" I have been on a high. The nurse said last night that if they have a negative result from the head scan, usually they don't ever develop any brain bleeds and are considered out of the woods with that happening. YAY !!!!! I know God has his hand on this little man. I don't know why he had to come so early but I know there are great and mighty things in store for him.
As I said earlier, the nurse we had for the past two evenings is a very interactive nurse. She had us taking pictures of him in different poses. She put a measuring tape next to him and we took a picture of that. She put Danny's wedding ring around Kadin's arm and took a picture of that. She took off his hat so we could see his full head and we discovered that he actually has some hair, which we were told in the beginning he did not have ... ok. The hair is dark and his eyelashes are as blonde as they can be. He is just perfect.
When we told the nurse of our misfortune with the breastpump issue, she went and got us the parts that we needed. She said if insurance won't pay for them, it will be billed to us but at least we did not have to shell out the $90 for it right now. What a blessing! So I was able to pump last night and all thru the night just fine! Our water issue seems to have cleared up, which sets my mind at ease a little more.
I made arrangements for my children to be here this weekend. Dakota called me last night and was crying. It broke my heart. I did not have anything definite to tell him as far as when we would see each other because my nephew went in the hospital and my mom said she thought maybe her plans to come were on hold. However, God made a way and I will be seeing my children tonight. I am so very excited about it. I wish I could see JT too and I know I will soon. I talked to Dakota's daddy for a little bit about him and he is doing all he can to help Dakota thru this is. I feel being with his daddy is the best place for him to be if he can be, especially with having separation anxiety. I know he loves to be with my mom and sister and my nephew, but I reflect back to when I was younger and stayed with my grandparents, I was heartbroken from missing my mom and dad. I loved being with my grandparents, but I remember the hurt of not being with my family, and that was only for a weekly summer visit!!! I hate to have my children separated during these times, but that is a whole nother blog. They will be here together this weekend and I just can not wait !!!
I guess it's time to go for our morning visit. I pray all went well thru the night. I did not call the NICU during the night. I was so exhausted. It was all I could do to get up and pump for the baby. I managed, but my head hit my chest a few times.
More later .....

No comments: