Friday, November 14, 2008

Surgery .... so far so good.

I know I have not updated at all today and that is because we have been at Cook Children's Medical Center all day long. We were orginally scheduled for surgery at 8am and were told to be there at 7 so we could speak to the surgeon and the anesthesiologist, but not soon after we got there we were told it was postponed a little because the Dr. had been in surgery until 2:30am and had not been heard from at that time this morning.

We decided to go eat breakfast and wait a little while until he came in, but as the day progressed and the surgery kept getting pushed back, we decided to just go to our room and wait. We were not in our room very long when they finally called at 4:15 to tell us we needed to come over and take care of all the consents and other things.

We did not wait very long after arriving until the Dr. came to talk with us. He was very positive about the surgery, explained everything in fairly detailed terms, and then we met with his anesthesiologist. Since I had not scrubbed in this visit, I got to just take a quick peek at Kadin and tell him I loved him (thru teary eyes, of course) before heading back to the waiting area while they continued to prep him. They did his surgery right in his isolette! The whole cardiac OR team for preemies was at his bedside. They all assured us they would take good care of him.

We sat in the lobby and talked to my Aunt Rose for over and hour before Dr. Tam's physician's assistant came and told us that the Dr. was still with Kadin but that everything had gone just fine.

We were able to see him within about 15 minutes. He was paralyzed from the meds and I did not really like to see that. His little hands just fell to his side, and of course, I put them on his tummy. Daddy took his temperature and I changed his diaper. The RN's at Cook are very "hands on" and very interactive with the parents. So many people came and talked to us today that I can't even begin to remember them all, but one I won't forget is the Chaplain DOUG, who prayed with me last night and then again with us today. It was nice ...

When we went to see Kadin, we expected him to be doing a little worse than he was prior to his surgery. The nurses had told us that this surgery was not a quick fix to his issues and not to expect anything when it was over. The recovery would be several hours, but also his improvement would span over the period of several days. I was confused when they told me do not expect immediate results ... ok, so we didn't, but that is what we got. He was requiring less help from the ventilator, his blood gases were down significantly, so I am believing that this was just the fix that he needed to get him regulated and back on track. If he does well and they can ween him off of the ventilator, he will then get a bubble cpap which actually is very good for him. He has to be doing very well for that though ......

So, I don't know if I put everything in here since it feels like I am writing thru sleeping eyes .....I probably won't even remember writing much if any of this.

Good night, I am so sleepy right now ..........

2 comments:

kirstenpetree said...

Great to hear that surgery went well! I had been so anxious all day!!!! Also very good to hear that he is doing better already!!

Lisa S. said...

I am so glad to hear Kadin's surgery went so well.
He is truly a miracle baby!!
Praying that he continues to do well.