Thursday, November 13, 2008

Surgery today

Our precious baby boy is having surgery today. I met with the surgeon's physician's assistant along with Kadin's Dr. at my morning visit. He said that this whole in his vessel appeared to be closing but isn't closing on it's own and surgery is required. Such a change from yesterday's news .... He told me yesterday there wasn't a Dr. who would touch a baby this small, but then today he tells me that this is a very common surgery for babies this small. Maybe I am just not hearing him correctly, I don't know. I feel like I am, but I am so tired lately that I could be misunderstanding him. Anyway, he will have an incision on his chest and the surgeon will stitch the hole closed and this should eliminate some of the issues he is having with the lungs. They said he will probably get a little sicker after the surgery but that he will start to improve. They said they look for him to do well with this according to how well he has done until now. There are risks involved as with any surgery, but the percent is small ... like 5% chance of bleeding, infection, or even loss of life. So I came to my room to make a few phone calls and post this update for any of you that might see it in time to pray for us. I will be at the hospital (Cook Children's Medical Center) with him while he has the surgery and when he comes back to Harris Methodist. Not sure how long that will be. I guess it just depends on how well he does.

I am a nervous wreck but not falling apart at this point. I really do appreciate your prayers, they help get me thru this. My husband wants to be here and it is killing him that he can't be. He will be here tomorrow with the kids, though.

Thanks for your prayers and continuing support ..... We love you all!

No comments: